Just a friendly reminder from your favorite tax preparers. Tax season is just around the corner and there’s still time to make withholding adjustments if needed, to ensure the best outcome on your 2023 tax preparation. We wanted to remind you of a few things you can do to get prepped for the upcoming season and make sure you have everything you need when you come in to see us.
- Check on your W-4 with your employer
- Your payroll department should be able to provide you with a projection of your annual gross pay by years end, and help you make adjustment to your withholding accordingly. Before you do this, you’ll want to know what tax bracket you are in to make sure you know how much you should be withholding. Remember, you are taxed based on where you fall on the bracket based on your annual income.
- Keep your standard deduction in mind / Increase Donations
- In previous years, you were able to take a certain percentage of your charitable donations even if you couldn’t itemize, but those days are sadly over. You will only be able to take your charitable donations if you have more donations than your standard deduction. You can find your standard deductions for this upcoming tax season below.
|Filing status||2023 standard deduction|
|Married, filing separately||$13,850.|
Married, filing jointly; qualified widow/er
|Head of household||$20,800.|
- Consider your spouse / partners income if married filing jointly
- If you are trying to figure out how you will come out based on your tax bracket, standard deduction and withholding, do not forget other income if your spouse or partner also works. Your tax bracket will be calculated on your COMBINED income.
- Come in as soon as you have all your documents
- It’s always better to come in sooner, than later. Our preparers get busier as the deadline approaches and the sooner you come in, the less time you will have to wait for your return to be completed. You DO NOT need an appointment to have your taxes prepared.
We hope you find this information helpful as you begin to prepare for the upcoming tax season. The contact information is listed below. Our preparers are in the office weekly and would be happy to assist you with any questions you may have. Don’t forget to check back for more!
Ned Jackson Downtown Office
255 N Liberty Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202